Thoughts of the day - The US


I actually figured out that my bucket list is missing some spots in the USA. Maybe I've been influenced by the political news...

But I shouldn't strikethrough a whole country, and I've already been to Washington.

Savannah and Charleston were really great, I didn't spend enough time in Charleston though, nor around Georgia and South Carolina.

Miami, loved it, I even picked up running while being on South Beach. Such a great vibe. I'd love to go again and spend more time in the latin district.

The Florida Keys : absolute crush, beautiful road trip, stunning dives (even if it was my first non-guided experience), decadent key lime pie. I love how unique the architecture of Key West is.

California : Big Sur, Carmel, Monterrey - loved it ! This road trip on the Pacific Highway 1 is a must. Santa Barbara : the weather was not so great, and despite our stay in the Belmond we didn't;t enjoy it as much as we should have. I regret only staying 1 night in Carmel, too short. On the other end of the trip, we spent too much time in San Francisco. I had read so much of Armistead Maupin chronicles on the city, but I guess you only feel the great vibe only when you live there, not just passing by. We were there on the Gay Pride and that was fabulous (even saw Kamala).If I were to do this trip again, I will spend more time along the coast.

Sequoia Park : not to be missed. For any one who like hikes, that's an absolute must do. It can be very wild as well, we even encountered a bear ... I am still stunned by the experience of walking under the giant trees and pic nicking by the waterfalls. I wasn't so excited by the experience before we went, and how wrong was I ! Accommodation are obviously a bit more rustic, but that is such a great fun. I already started looking at the other national parks, and oh dear they are gorgeous. Another place I'd like to go is Oregon.

I have a trip in New Orleans planned in February, just after Mardi Gras, I hope I'll be able to make it. Now the country is closed to tourist of course.

I've read about Nashville, I don't really know what to think about it. What I liked when we stayed in Savannah, is that we had rented an apartment in a house in Downton Savannah, and we got to experience the nearly normal life there, going to markets, walking around the squares, finding local spots to eat buckets of seafood... I should probably do that more often in the US, less hotels, more self catering.

Chicago should also be on the bucket list, can't believe I missed it ! I was supposed to go this year, but here again, cancelled. So I ll place it again, for when things go back to normal.

Any place I should consider ?



Comments